Around here

Hey stranger, long time no see! This blog has been neglected for many months now but I'm happy to report that I'm back in business. Not like I have stopped scrapbooking during the time, I just haven't had time to blog. During the last couple of months I have been really busy with our house project. We have now moved in and we are so happy!


From now on I have more time to scrapbook and the best part is that I can do it in my brand new craft room! I shared the first peek in to my new studio at Citrus Twist Kits blog yesterday. I started in their Design Team in July and will continue in their 2017 Design Team too which is really exciting!


Back to my new craft room! I had the wonderful opportunity to design my own studio from scratch. Our house is completely new so I was able to create my dream craft room.


Even though I have been involved in the designing of our house from the first moment, there were some limitations and things that needed to fit in the room. The blueprint of the room was set but I was able to have double French doors to the room and make sure that the room is good size (approximately 142 square feet). This room also has a high slanted ceiling that makes the room feel big and airy.


In this post I want to walk you through the main elements of my scrap room and the things I considered while designing the room. The room is not completely ready yet and it is missing some finishing touches like curtains but the main elements are in place already.


While designing the room I needed to consider the fact that the room is right next our living room so the room needs to look pretty while also being functional.

As this room is also used as my office I needed to fit a big desk in the room, accommodating two work stations: work computer, home computer and of course room for scrapbooking. I played around with the idea of having separate desks on different sides of the room but finally I landed on having one big desk on one side of the room. The table is made of two parts: one part is fixed and one has electronic legs (from IKEA) so that the height of the table can be adjusted. Our home computer stays on the adjustable desk as my husband sometimes likes to work while standing up.


One big part of the room design is storage. I wanted to have a lot of cabinets and drawers that I could store all my scrapbooking products in. There are now three main storages areas in the room. Above the table I have 10 cabinets and half of them have a glass door. This helps making the cabinets feel lighter. The second storage area is under the window. This built-in bench with drawers is actually an Ikea hack my husband made. It’s still waiting for some cushions, but I’m already quite excited, I think the bench is really pretty! The last storage area in my studio is my trusty Kallax where I store for example all my papers.


As I live in Finland I needed to consider the lightning of the room. We have a long and dark winter here which means that there are months in the middle of winter when we get only limited hours of daylight. A good lighting in a room is a must! All the lights in the room are LED lights and the color of the light is white (4000 K). This means that the light will not have a yellowish tint. I have several light sources in the room. All the lights are dimmable so I can balance how much of light I have in the room.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my new craft room. Let me know if you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them! In the next couple of weeks I will catch up here on my blog and share projects I have made during the summer. I hope I'll see you around!

6 comments

  1. You lucky girl. It looks stunning, bright and airy as you wanted. I look forward to seeing what you create in there. Ive missed your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on moving in! This is such a beautiful home full of light.
    It's great when you can plan things the way you want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new room is so pretty & bright! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veera, your craftroom is perfect! I'm delighted by how cute, simple and elegant it is. If I will have a bigger space in a future and if there will be a space for a craftroom - I would definetely choose yours for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I have the double french doors in my craft room as well and love them! What a beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good!! I love, love, love all the white!! And that built-in bench is great! I bet it's the perfect place to just lounge there on a rainy autumn day with a hot cup of coffee (or cocoa) in hand <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!